Nicholas Chubrich wrote:

> From lsbom it looks like there were some things in /private once, but no
> more.  The Python packages are also gone.  The Perl package is still there,
> and I wonder if I should leave it alone or get rid of it (would there be any
> non-RPM dependencies it might break?).  And then once done should I delete
> /Library/Receipts/RPM5.pkg itself?

You can leave them be (they're rather small anyway), or delete them...
Anything actually trying to use the Perl module needs it working anyway,
and the receipt is just that - a record of what pkg had been installed.

> I already followed the previous poster's advice, so I have already (mostly)
> removed RPM.  It was so broken there was no way of querying what was
> installed anyway.  A spotlight search for .rpm files has not turned up
> anything.

It looks like you only installed RPM itself, but not any RPMS with it ?

> (I did all this because brew doctor complained about the rpm files in
> /usr/local.)

The complaints are valid, anything in /usr/local will affect the system:

Warning: Unbrewed dylibs were found in /usr/local/lib.
If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.
Warning: Unbrewed .la files were found in /usr/local/lib.
If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.
Warning: Unbrewed .pc files were found in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.
If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.
Warning: Unbrewed static libraries were found in /usr/local/lib.
If you didn't put them there on purpose they could cause problems when
building Homebrew formulae, and may need to be deleted.

For some reason it doesn't whine about /usr/local/include, but that
will also affect anything you compile as it's in the default paths.

This also means that if you do install your Homebrew to /usr/local,
it will interfere with anything else - including MacPorts and Fink.

Because of this, many systems avoid using /usr or /usr/local prefix.

> The mono installation was there, I think, because of Wine, but Wine is gone
> because it was in a broken Macports installation (all these things seem to
> break when the transfer to a new laptop happens).

MacPorts installs in /opt/local normally, so this would be different.
The Mono.framework usually sets up a symlink as "/usr/bin/pkg-config",
but the provided pkg-config program's PKG_CONFIG_PATH only shows itself.

> If you know any good web sites that explain Mac software installation (the
> pkg system, what all the various directories /usr/local, /private, etc. are
> for), I'd love to hear about it.....

The pkg system is provided by Apple with Mac OS X, so look there for it.
The associated programs are: Installer.app and Xcode's PackageMaker.app.

The /private directory is a top-level storage of /etc and /tmp and /var.
It needed to be stated explicitly in .pkg, because of Installer.app bugs.

If you want to know more about /usr/local (and /usr and /var), you could
take a look at the man page for hier(7) or learn more about BSD and Unix.

Not sure there's any good summary site with all different "distributions",
comparing MacPorts, Fink and Homebrew and the other means of installation.

For RPM, there's max-rpm and the rpm-guide ? (http://rpm5.org/docs.php)

The Darwin installer used to live at http://rpm4darwin.sourceforge.net/

The latest pkg version was RPM 5.2 for Snow Leopard, after that it moved
to just using MacPorts. One could install RPM 5.3 and 5.4 (with devtool).

There was some discussion recently about doing an updated distribution,
but for now there's some (non-rpm) pkg at http://macpkg.sourceforge.net/

--anders

User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org