On 25.02.2009 09:27, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fed...@leemhuis.info> wrote:
 === Ideas nobody is working on ===
 + [musuruan: is it feasible to have some of these ideas as GSoC?]
I'm not really familiar with GSoC, but I doubt that it'll work when we do it
directly. Maybe it's easier and better if it could be done as GSoC projects
done in Fedora. But I'm not sure if Fedora would be willing to do something
like that.
The basic idea is to gain visibility and to find some developers (i.e.
non-packagers) since we need them. I don't know if GCoC is feasible or
not, but it is very visible.

Sure, but do we have the manpower to mentor someone and will Google think we have it/accept us as project? I wouldn't do the latter if I would have to chose; I'd tell us "realize your ideas as GSoC project within the Fedora project"

+ + [musuruan: can we have a synergy with 3rd party doc sites? Fedora FAQ
and Fedorasolved comes to my mind.]
Yes, maybe that would be a good idea.
Do somebody in RPM Fusion know them and can contact them?

I know some of the Fedora Unity guys. They sometimes ask for advice. But the cooperation could be better -- in a few cases I saw them documenting workarounds instead of telling us to fix our shit...

And I for one don't like the structure of both websites much (maybe it's just me). I'd much prefer a wiki and a structure like http://ubuntuguide.org

  * rpmfusion-buildsys-list is broken;  +  * no announcement mailing list;
+ + [musuruan: what is the problem in having one?]
it's the usual problem: Somebody need to sit down and do it/poke the people
with access to the necessary places ;-)
Yep... we need more people with these rights.

Well, we IMHO need to remove *all* "Single points of failure" in our human or computer infrastructure ;-)

+ + [musuruan: can we look for more contributors in the fedora-docs-list?]
Sure.
Do somebody in RPM Fusion know them and can contact them?

And what exactly would we ask for? Same question btw reg. the 3rd party docs site idea above...

+ * we need a place where to host RPM Fusion projects. Something like
[[https://fedorahosted.org|Fedora Hosted]].
Do we? Why can't we use Fedora Hosted directly? Sure, some of the tools we
need may deal with nonfree software, but I guess all of us want the tools
itself be open source and thus acceptable for Fedora Hosted?
I'm not sure but I don't think that we can host applications whose
licenses do not follow the Fedora Guidelines in Fedora Hosted.

No, of course not. Maybe I was not clear enough: The tools we need might deal with non-free software, but I assume the tools itself (like rpmfusion-config-display, kmodtool, ...) will be open-source and thus should acceptable for Fedora Hosted as long as the Fedora project doesn't say "no".

Cu
knurd