On 06/18/2012 11:00 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
Can't you just use a higher version/release on the virtual provides
(phonon-backend) of phonon-backend-gstreamer? Would the RPMFusion
buildroot still pull in phonon-backend-vlc?

I do appreciate all the input guys, but really, the kde-sig was (and has been) over this many times (e.g. we've already debated the pros/cons of all the solutions mentioned in this thread already), and the current implemented solution really is the best compromise for both packager and end-user (at least until rpm/yum grow soft dependencies or allow packagers better control of how to prefer one over various providers).

-- rex