On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:40 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> FeRD wrote:
> > On cursory inspection of the API docs I also don't see any obvious reason
> > why it would need mjpegtools, but I admit I didn't look very hard.
>
> It is the other way round: mjpegtools needs SDL_gfx, not the opposite.

Oh! Gotcha. My mistake.

Actually, looking at the packages, it appears that only mjpegtools*-gui*
requires SDL_gfx.

So the question becomes, do WE need mjpegtools-gui?

mjpegtools itself is still required by a shocking number of other packages,
all things considered. But its GUI components are, quite frankly, crap.
What use are poor clones of ffplay that each only support one specific (and
outdated) video format?

I don't think it would be any great loss to just drop mjpegtools-gui, and I
bet nobody would miss it. (Though I suppose only dropping the -gui
subpackage wouldn't really *gain* us much, either.)