On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 8:00 PM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> FeRD wrote:
> > If you were developing a bugfix or a new feature to submit to an upstream
> > project, would you develop against the code from three releases ago,
> > submit it as a patch or PR against that code, and tell them to merge it
> > forward to their current development tree? Of course not, and no project
> > would accept such a patch.
>
> This is not true. Qt and parts of KDE actually work that way: Bug fixes
> that
> should go into the release branches should be targeted at the oldest
> supported release branch and will be merged to the newer releases by
> upstream. Features should typically go only into dev (Qt) or master (KDE)
> and so should be targeted against that branch.

True enough, and I stand corrected. Qt's branching and maintenance
strategy[1] is apparently far more complex than I've encountered in the
past.

The primary difference seems to be that Qt maintains a LTS release
(currently Qt 5.6), so they have to worry about fixing bugs in
feature-frozen 3-year-old code. That's not an issue for Fedora's package
maintenance strategy.

[1]: https://wiki.qt.io/Branch_Guidelines