Am 25.02.2018 um 16:50 schrieb Dave Pawson:
I said "I've had no reason to change it" (grub.cfg)
More accurately, I've had no reason to modify it, since it has worked
as installed.

If it works, why should I spend weeks finding out how?

it does not take weeks, it takes minutes and the moment where you have made your notice that changes in /boot/grub/grub.cfg no longer work would have be the right one dig why it is so or at least read release notes

I don't on Windows / Mac OS....

I only dive deeper when something goes wrong.

well, my understanding of work with something is consider what can go wrong and how to deal if it goes wrong in a moment where i have no time to figure out how things are working

understaning the boot process of my systems is something self-evindent for me from the day i bought my first PC - likely the reason why i never needed to reinstall any OS be it windows or linux from scratch

It would appear you get upset answering my questions, perhaps save
yourself some trouble and ignore my posts.

only if 5 seconds google is quicker than mail ping-pong