[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> r.DataName (whatever DataName might be) not as I had it r.data
>
> and Barry pre-empting my next error message with
>
> rpy.set_default_mode(rpy.NO_CONVERSION)
>
> Shouls rpy.set_default_mode(rpy.NO_CONVERSION) be set as standard in Rpy
> scripts?

  Well, it depends if your code is doing more of working purely *with* R
objects or getting data out of R into Python data structures.

  You see, with NO_CONVERSION set, things come back from R as objects of
class R_obj, and then it's not so easy to get values out of them. But if
you are passing these things straight back to R again, or doing several
strung-together R calls, it's what you want.

  However, with BASIC_CONVERSION, stuff comes back from R as dicts, so
you can get list elements, such as x$FOO in R, as x['FOO'] in Python.

Barry