Andrew wrote:
> Rather than have a toggle, why not have an alternate proxy object - then
> you don't polute your new API implementation with legacy support. For
> example:
>
>    from rpy2 import compat as r
>    r.dev_off()

Yes - I think this is what Laurent has in mind with the "rpy_classic" module:

Earlier in this thread Laruent wrote:
> There is also a module "rpy_classic" that is a rough emulation of rpy
> built with rpy2.rinterface (the emulation is rough because of limited
> time on my end - this is also a demo of how how could build an interface
> to R without touching on C code).

If this can be tested, then I sounds like it should be the recommended
route for converting rpy1 code for rpy2.

Laurent, could you show us how you would write this trivial plot
example (at the start of this thread) using rpy2.rpy_classic?

Thanks

Peter