On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 19:23 -0400, Michael Rutter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was spending a lazy Sunday afternoon testing the new R 2.8.0 beta in
> terms of building packages under Intrepid Ibex.  Things we going fine
> until I tried to build rpy, and I received the following error:
>
> src/RPy.h:77:51: error: Rdevices.h: No such file or directory
>
> A little google work and an email or two from Dirk Eddelbuettel
> confirmed that while Rdevices.h is included in the source code, it is
> now an internal header and no longer being included among the installed
> content in R 2.8.0.
>
> Is it possible to build rpy without this header?  I see that work is
> being done on rpy2, so maybe we need to think about supplying rpy2
> packages for Ubuntu instead of rpy.

rpy2 is somehow separate from rpy's development branch.
(this will be made more explicit when I can finally release 2.0).

>   I couldn't get rpy2 to compile on
> my Ubuntu machine, but I see lots of other messages about that, so I
> just need to spend some time to get it working.

rpy2 was/is developed on Ubuntu 8.04.
Last time I tried R-2.8-dev, it was building (and passing unit tests).
Please share the details of what is happening when you try building it.