No change in behavior. I've simplifed my python script and added the
import rpy2.rinterface as instructed. I've stopped and started the
apache server as appropriate voodoo.

Seems to me if I can't execute the library() call then it makes sense
that R functionality in the non-base libraries won't be available.

Other info: I'm running on Unbuntu Gusty ... I couldn't find a packaged
shared libraries version of R so I built it myself. I did have R
installed previously using the Synaptic package manager and subsequently
deinstalled when I built the shared library version. I've just confirmed
that Synatpic indicates that R is not installed. I notice that if I do a
printenv in a shell, there's no R_HOME variable defined. Should there
be? I recall having to futz with this when I was trying to install the
RSPython extension...the builds kept failing because R_HOME was point to
the wrong place.

I'm happy to run other tests if you tell me what to do.

--eric

PYTHON SCRIPT

        from mod_python import apache

        import rpy2.rinterface as ri

        # this must go before the import rpy2
        ri.set_initoptions(('rpy2','--verbose','--vanilla','--nosave'))

        import rpy2
        from rpy2 import robjects

        def handler(req):
                r = robjects.r

                r("library()")

                req.content_type = 'html'
                req.write("<HTML><BODY>Hello beautiful
        World!<BR></BODY></HTML>")
                return apache.OK

Traceback:

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line 1537, in
HandlerDispatch
    default=default_handler, arg=req, silent=hlist.silent)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line 1229, in
_process_target
    result = _execute_target(config, req, object, arg)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line 1128, in
_execute_target
    result = object(arg)

  File "/var/www/apache2-default/test_python/test1.py", line 14, in handler
    r("library()")

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rpy2/robjects/__init__.py", line 501,
in __call__
    res = self.eval(p)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rpy2/robjects/__init__.py", line 381,
in __call__
    res = super(RFunction, self).__call__(*new_args, **new_kwargs)

        RRuntimeError: Error in gzfile(file, "rb") : invalid 'encoding' argument