Use

fun = r(" function(x) { x+1 }")

-G

----- Original Message -----
From: Antonio Garcia-Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: rpy-list@lists.sourceforge.net <rpy-list@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thu Nov 20 23:35:25 2008
Subject: [Rpy] uniroot, and r.function()

I'm trying to use R's uniroot function from within python. The first arg is a
function, but I'm having trouble creating a function inside python using
r.function().

For example, a naive attempt:

>>> r.function( "x",  "x+1" )
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
rpy.RPy_RException: Error: invalid formal argument list for "function"

Passing but one arg returns (just as a wild attempt):

>>> r.function( "x" )
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
rpy.RPy_RException: Error: incorrect number of arguments to "lambda"

The problem seems to be the R syntax of

f = func( x ) { ...}

doesn't seem to map well to the 'r.<R_function_name_here>' syntax of RPy.

Anyone have any idea what to do here?

Many thanks,

Antonio.

Research Scientist