Let me guess: R was not compiled as a shared library.
http://rpy.sourceforge.net/rpy2/doc-2.2/html/overview.html#req

Try Dirk Eddelbuettel's debian packages.
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README
The latest rpy2 release has so far always be there within days.

L.

On 2011-11-14 16:57, Bruno Santos wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I had rpy2 installed but I had to perform a clean installation of Ubuntu. After that I installed R from the ubuntu software centre plus the rpy2 package. Nonetheless when running the from rpy2 import robjects I get the following error message:
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
unable to load shared object '/usr/local/lib64/R/library/stats/libs/stats.so':
  libRblas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
During startup - Warning message:
package 'stats' in options("defaultPackages") was not found

when I try to locate libRblas.so I can see the file exists under /usr/local/lib64/R/lib/libRblas.so

I tried installing from source as well as rpy2 but this didn't solve the problem either.

Thank you very much in advance,
Bruno Santos