On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Marko Limbek <marko.lim...@valicon.net> wrote:
> Do you mean
> set_default_mode(NO_CONVERSION)
> or something else?

Yes, try the NO_CONVERSION mode of rpy v1, which
keeps the objects as R objects but allows you to access
them from Python.

> What you suggested is the second way of retreiving R
> objects, but I think it can only be used od R objects, that
> represent predefined built-in R functions. It can't be used
> it on the result I get from a method.

I think it can. Lots of my rpy code had things like this:

1. Set no conversion,
2. Generate complex object, say foo
3. Set default conversion
4. Call rpy.r("foo$var") or whatever to get a simple
variable which can safely be converted into a simple
python variable.

The hardest thing in using rpy v1 was object conversion,
when to allow it and when not to. In general I would keep
complex R objects unconverted (because converting them
to Python objects was lossy), especially if doing more
analysis with them within R.

> Anyway I will have to switch to rpy2, because the matching
> problem is apparently unsolvable here.

It probably can be solved, but you would be better off in
the long term moving to rpy2.

Peter

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011