I've just started looking at using Cacti internally for some stuff as my hand-rolled cgi scripts aren't the easiest to maintain. However, I've hit a problem with caching.
Where I have remote data collection, I use rrdcached. But Cacti doesn't have an option to add a --daemon switch or set the RRDCACHED_ADDRESS environment variable. I've found I can set RRDCACHED_ADDRESS globally for the web server either by adding it to the Apache config - but that breaks any rrdtool graph calls for rrds that don't use cached.

I can try hacking the Cacti code where it builds the graph definition, but I guess I'd need to look at the RRD path and figure out if it's handled directly or cached - and that'll mean learning some PHP.

Any other suggestions ?