In einer eMail vom 06.01.2010 09:11:05 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
sh...@castlepoint.net:

The  point of mentioning all of the above is that you appear to be focusing
 mostly/solely on the rearview mirror when thinking about a future Internet
 Architecture, specifically designing a solution based around traditional
fixed/wired devices that use traditional multihoming techniques, (while
potentially placing significant amounts of complexity in the network to do
so).  While we certainly can't forget about the embedded base that's out  there
today, it seems false to believe that host O/S'es are completely static,
nor ever get upgraded.  Finally, I would assert that we potentially are  at a
crossroads where the composition of the Internet may fundamentally be
changing, as we speak, away from pre-dominantly wired hosts to mobile,
disposable devices (if it hasn't already).  It would be very unfortunate  if we
didn't provide a well designed, host-based ID-Loc solution  out-of-the-gate
(perhaps/likely as not the only solution, but certainly as a  key part of the
overall recommended
solution) to get us on a better  trajectory for scaling, not to mention
putting more intelligence in the hosts  to let them decide/control their own
application's fate while at the same time  keeping the network as dumb,
inexpensive and [relatively] easy to  run.

Thanks for this very interesting email. I too believe that most people see
the current task while viewing backwards.re-ECN folks still believe that
congestions stem from TCP-based services and can be handled by telling the
source to slow down the transmission rate. They do not envision video and tv
to  eventually millions of receivers to be /become the true reason for
congestions  (BTW: Multicast popped up in the RRG-list discussion and
disappeared
again  :-(   )

I also thought that what TARA enabled wrt mobility as an additional benefit
 is such fundamental that it would overscore whichever  alternative:
scoped broadcasting in search of the current xTR's  location in case of an
outdated respective DNS-location data (BTW  accurate broadcasting i.e.not
flooding).

Two days ago I responded to DY saying that a TARA-locator would  not
identify the location of the end user device. Shane, you are also for
host-based
solutions (quote from above:"it would be very unfortunate if we  didn't
provide a well designed host-based ID-loc solution...").  The end  point of
TARA-forwarding might be extended towards the end user device , peu à  peu: by
enhancing OSPF accordingly, too.

And in case the enduser shall become part of the topology as well, then it
might take additional granularity (square milliseconds :-) plus extra-data
for  enduser differentiation (to be evaluated only closest to the
destination). And  "multihoming" in case TARA-locator indicated the location of
the
enduser  device itself? Well, then it would take additional
"via"-TARA-locators - easy as  pie.

My "IETF-recommendation":
Let LISP proceed as a short-term solution.
Conceive the TARA-locator as a globally significant label ( as opposed to
locally significant MPLS-labels)
and let's do TARA as a different, and much more beneficial kind of MPLS. A
shim is needed anyway.

Heiner