Robin Whittle wrote:
Hi Joel,

You wrote:

?  Why would the DNS Server need to perform a DNS lookup for ILNP?

The DNS server has received a request packet.  It has an ID and a
locator.  The response will simply go back to the ID and locator pair
the request came from.  There is no need to look up anything.

I was assuming that the DNS server performs the same process as any
other host when sent a packet from a host it has not recently
communicated with.

If DNS servers or any other hosts do not behave like this - and you
suggest that their behavior would be different - then this needs to
be clearly specified in the IDs.  I just read them and I don't recall
any statements to this effect.

I think we need to be careful about assumptions when major revisions
to the Internet protocols are being discussed.  Just because the ILNP
IDs mention DNS doesn't mean that these exchanges would be the same
as today's DNS exchanges.

Robin,

Your confusion here is your assumption that the host MUST do an ILNP lookup. In fact, that is not required and that is the basis for interoperability with legacy hosts. Thus, the DNS server need not perform an ILNP lookup before replying. In fact, since it is very likely to be a one packet transaction, performing the lookup is simply unnecessary and pessimal.

Regards,
Tony