On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Tony Li wrote:
<employer hat off>
Any operator who would like to stand up and embarrass their favorite router
vendor by showing a graph of router boot convergence times is welcome to do
so.  ;-)
</employer hat off>

Ok, I'll jump on my soap box. In worst case, Juniper high-end routers have been demonstrated to take up to 10 minutes to install RIB to FIB. During this time, packets usually get blackholed (aka "krt queue blocking"). See thread in j-nsp in Dec 2009:

http://www.mail-archive.com/juniper-...@puck.nether.net/msg07663.html

A bit of continuation here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/juniper-...@puck.nether.net/msg07833.html

This is not a new issue;  It has started appearing over 3 years ago:

http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2007-February/007655.html
http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2007-February/007575.html

I've personally pursued a case with Juniper TAC on this for a long time but eventually gave up. One known architectural bottleneck is the slowness of RE-PFE IPC (unix socket), but I don't really belive in this being the root cause. I know others have also tried to work with the vendor to get this fixed.

Semi-relevant may also be a graph of BGP update sizes during a BGP DFZ flap event that I sent to idr list three years back, showing that of 87K BGP updates due to a single event, almost all of them are below 100 bytes in size.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/current/msg02398.html