I found an alternate route, which may or may not work for others.

Instead of using Kernel#` (backquote / backtick), you might be able to
use Kernel#system.  The difference:

Kernel#` returns the standard output of running the command in a subshell

Kernel#system returns true if the command was found and executed
successfully, otherwise false.

So, in my case, I used:

class Barcode
 def raw_barcodes
    self.make_temporary_copy
    system("OcrBarcode #{self.temp_file_path}")

describe "Calling @barcode.raw_barcodes" do
  before(:each) do
    File.stub!(:exist?).and_return(true)
    @barcode = Barcode.new('path/to/valid.pdf')
    Kernel.stub!(:system).and_return(true)
    FileUtils.stub!(:cp)
  end
  it "should make a copy of the file" do
    @barcode.should_receive(:make_temporary_copy)
    @barcode.raw_barcodes

Note, my spec has changed a bit since my original post, but the gist remains.

I hope this helps someone down the line.

If you have a better way of spec'ing calls to a subshell, I'd live to hear it.

/g

--

George Anderson

BenevolentCode LLC