I have some finders in my models where I write some of the sql myself. I
of course want to test these, but am not sure the best way. Should I just
let them roll through to the db, and verify they return the correct
objects based on the fixtures I load, or should I spec the actual query? I
know that DB access is sort of frowned upon, but is this a situation where
it is more or less acceptable? My spec looks something like this, but just
feels funny because I'm essentially rewriting the query.

describe User, 'when calling find_by_username' do
  before(:each) do
    User.stub!(:find).and_return(nil)
  end

  it 'should convert the username to lowercase' do
    uname = 'Joe'
    uname.should_receive(:downcase).and_return('joe')
    User.find_by_username(uname)
  end

  it 'should call find with custom options' do
    User.should_receive(:find) do |a, b|
      a.should == :first
      b[:conditions][0].should == "lower(username) = :username"
      b[:conditions][1][:username].should == 'joe'
    end
    User.find_by_username('Joe')