I havne't take a look yet, but a couple of points:

- I was mistaken in my OP; I'm running REXML 3.1.7.3
- I saw a different post on a related topic that seemed to blame REXML

I'd been meaning to go back to an earlier version of REXML and see if that
fixed it since I had rcov working on this project a while back and I did
upgrade my REXML version at some point.