All the mentioned solutions are great, but for me they implied a bit too much hassle to set up and also, given a larger number of specs, a bit slow.

This discussion actually motivated me to publish my own stubbing solution that I've recently implemented on GitHub. (This actually is a kind of a factory plus a dsl to define your stubs).

http://github.com/svenfuchs/stubby/tree/master

Like said in the readme, the code is pretty new and bugs/problems might well be present. Please let me know if you find any.