Matt Wynne wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just getting to grips with rspec, and I'm trying to put together a
showy demo. We're trying to use the (plain text) stories feature, rather
than the specs. I'd like to show off a fancy HTML report of the results
if possible.

So it seems I can do this from the spec command line tool, but I can't
make it work for a story.

I've got the three files (story.txt, steps.rb, runner.rb) from the
rspec.info homepage, and I can run then by doing
 ruby runner.rb

All splendid so far.

By when I try to do
 spec runner.rb

It doesn't want to play. I don't get an error message or anything, it
just seems to ignore me.

Does spec support stories, or just specs? If so, what am I doing wrong?

The spec command is just for specs. Although the story runner now uses the same command line option parser. So you can pass in the args when running your runner file. Like so:

ruby story.rb -f=html
or the verbose way:
ruby story.rb --format=html

-Ben