>This is not an rspec bug :)

I thought not :-)

>This is assigning the value mock("MachineInstance") to the constant
>MachineInstance, which an interesting way to approach stubbing a
>class, but not really the idea.

>Can you show us the spec this is in so we can make appropriate recommendations?

We have a class declared in lib/ in a Rails app which we want to test
independently of the activerecord class / database. The full spec as it stands
is:

require File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../spec_helper')

describe "a service at level 0" do

  it "should pass a test and do nothing" do

    service = mock("service")
    service.should_receive(:test_service)
    service.should_receive(:save)

    machineInstance = mock("MachineInstance")
    machineInstance.should_receive(:services).and_return([service])

    MachineInstance = mock("MachineInstance")
    MachineInstance.should_receive(:find).and_return([machineInstance])

    monitoringAlerts = MonitoringAlerts.new
    monitoringAlerts.monitor

The idea is to have no dependency on the MachineInstance class in this spec,
which seems to work, but specs called later still see MachineInstance as the
mock.

Are we doing this completely the wrong way?

Thanks!

Marcus
The WatchGuard Firebox that protects your network has detected a message that
may not be safe.

Cause : The file type may not be safe.
Content type : application/ms-tnef
File name    : winmail.dat
Virus status : No information.
Action       : The Firebox deleted winmail.dat.

Your network administrator can not restore this attachment.