On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denat...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelim...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:35 AM, rogerdpack <rogerpack2...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Forgive me if the question is a common one...
> >>
> >> does rspec have any concept like
> >>
> >> given "a certain set of paths" do
> >>
> >>  it "should be able to recreate them" do; end
> >>  it "..."; end
> >> end
> >
> > Not built into rspec. There is a merb extension that does that, but there
> is
> > no "when" and "then" counterpart, so I didn't want to add it to rspec.
>
> It looks like that merb extension was about injecting a part of a
> before block by adding an option to describe, yes?
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rspec-users@rubyforge.org/msg07327.html
>
> I don't see that that's what Roger is asking for though. It seems to
> me that he's asking more for yet another synonym for describe or
> context.
>
> In which case I'd suggest just using describe or context as in:
>
> context "given a certain set of paths" do
> before(:each) do
>   # code to set up the paths however the included specs need them, e.g.
>   @paths = ["a/b", "c/d"]
>  end
>
>   it "should be able to recreate them" do; end
>   it "..."; end
> end
>
> I tend to use describe for the top level, and context when nested.

Ah - I see what you mean. Though, I tend to use describe() for nouns and
context for context.

describe "something" do
  context "in some state" do

Usuall that works out that the outer block starts w/ describe and the inner
starts w/ context, but sometimes there are describe blocks nested within
describe blocks as well.