I was wary of taking an approach like that, as it feels a little like test
code bleeding into production code, but the sheer number of problems I'm
having trying another way tells me that I'm very inadvisedly swimming
against the stream, here.
So I think I'll rethink my strategy & try something more like this --
thanks!
   Doug.