On Aug 1, 2010, at 5:39 PM, Myron Marston wrote:

>> Seems like your mental model is that of a customization block being a
>> subclass or re-opening of the shared block. What you say makes sense in that
>> model, but that's not the same model I have.
>
> My mental model is indeed that the customization block is like a
> subclass.  I'm not sure where I got it--it's just the intuitive way I
> understood shared_examples_for and it_should_behave_like.  But if no
> one else shares this mental model, then there's not much point in
> making rspec work this way.  I'm happy going with whatever the general
> consensus is.  Although, I do think that my mental model makes for
> some interesting possibilities :).
>
>> Assuming that can work. I've taken a closer look and getting that to work
>> would take some serious re-architecting that I'm not sure is a good idea.
>
> Maybe I misunderstood you here, but I took this to refer to the
> passing of parameters to the shared example group, as you
> suggested...and it turns out this isn't very hard at all:
>
> http://github.com/myronmarston/rspec-core/commit/c353badcb8154ab98a7dc46eb19c8a9fc702ec73

If we do this, we should use module_exec for both blocks so they both get the
same arguments.

> The one issue with this is that it uses #module_exec, which is not
> available in ruby 1.8.6--so we'd have to find a way to implement it,
> similar to how cucumber implements #instance_exec when it's not
> available:
>
> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/blob/30d43767a7cffd1675e990115ac86c139e4ea3e0/lib/cucumber/core_ext/instance_exec.rb#L16-31

RSpec does that too :). Pretty sure it was Aslak that added that some years
back.

Yeah - I'm playing around with an implementation of module_exec, but it doesn't
seem to work quite the same way as instance exec does. Not yet, anyhow.

David