Hello,

I'm new to rails and I'm trying to wrap my heads around how to spec
controllers using RSpec (using rails 3rc1 and rspec 2.0.0.beta.19).

The problem I've run into is when I want to test that my controllers respond
with a 404 for unfound records.
Whenever I run the spec, the ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound exception is not
caught by rails, causing the  spec example to fail since the exception
propagates out of the controller into the spec.

>From googling around I get that rails only handles the exceptions and does a
404 response when it's run in production mode, and that you need to call
rescue_action_in_public! in your example if you want this behavior for test
mode. However, this does not seem to do anything for me. The example still
fails because the exception bubbles escapes unhandled from the controller.

Do I need to set something up for the rescue_action_in_public! to work? Or
is this not the correct way to test missing records?

My full example: (using factory_girl, rspec mocks and devise)

it "respons with 404 when trying to edit non-existing reads" do
   rescue_action_in_public!
   sign_in(@user)
   Read.should_receive(:find_by_id_and_user_id!).with(2,
@user.id).and_raise(ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound)

   get :edit, :id => 2
   response.status.should eql 404
 end

and the exception:

1) ReadsController resources respons with 404 for non existing reads for GET
/reads/2/edit
    Failure/Error: get :edit, :id => 2
    ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound

Thanks,