Luis:

This was really helpful advice. I went ahead and simply created the
"showtime" rails app using the guidelines under section 19.3 of The
RSpec Book:

No problems whatsoever with rake db:test:prepare. This should have been
obvious to me because I just went through that chapter a few weeks back.

I then went into the config directory for showtime and changed the
database.yml file... so that the development and test sections looked
like they do in my genlighten app. I repeated rake db:test:prepare, and
it still worked fine.

Of course, when I went through Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial book
several months ago, I was able to use rspec and rake db:test:prepare
there successfully, in another directory on my same machine, so it
shouldn't surprise me that a "clean" app works.

Unfortunately, however, I'm afraid I'm still clueless as to what's so
different about the genlighten app's configuration/setup that it fails
to find sqlite3 (if that's even what's really going on...)

--Dean

BTW, your suggested fix to the "test:" section in my database.yml file
for using mysql on my test database worked flawlessly. Thanks!