I am not sure if I am properly using the respond to call as you
suggested. Here is what I tried:
it "redirects to the bugs parent project" do
  Bug.stub(:find) { mock_bug }
  mock_bug.should respond_to :project_id
  delete :destroy, :id => "1"
  response.should redirect_to(project_path(:id =>
mock_bug.project_id))
end

And here is the failure message:
1) BugsController DELETE destroy redirects to the bugs parent project
     Failure/Error: delete :destroy, :id => "1"
     ActionController::RoutingError:
     No route matches
{:action=>"show", :controller=>"projects", :id=>#<Bug:0x514c9fe
@name="Bug_1015">}

In case it would illustrate my situation better, here is my action:
 def destroy
    @bug = Bug.find(params[:id])
    bugs_project = @bug.project_id
    @bug.destroy

    respond_to do |format|
      format.html { redirect_to(project_url(bugs_project)) }
      format.xml  { head :ok }

Any ideas?