Please ignore my previous question - I just realised you're doing
Java::java.lang.NullPointerException.new in your second example. I'm
seeing the same behaviour and can't think of any way around it off the
top of my head.

You could try redefining Java::JavaLang::NullPointerException to be a
Ruby RuntimeError within the scope of your spec but I'm not sure how
this will work (if at all) when Java::JavaLang::NullPointerException
is raised from native code.

Best,
Sidu.
http://c42.in