On Oct 28, 2011, at 10:16 AM, internetchris wrote:

> Hi Group
>
> I'm still waiting for the light to come on with stubbing/mocking and
> the syntax for each. I have simple method in my Order class like
> so....
>
> def credit_card
>    ActiveMerchant::Billing::CreditCard.new(
>      :type               => card_type,
>      :number             => card_number,
>      :verification_value => card_verification,
>      :month              => card_expires_on.blank? ? Time.now.month :
> card_expires_on.month,
>      :year               => card_expires_on.blank? ? Time.now.year :
> card_expires_on.year,
>      :first_name         => first_name,
>      :last_name          => last_name
>    )
>  end
>
> This method should return valid if the card is valid.
> http://activemerchant.rubyforge.org/classes/ActiveMerchant/Billing/CreditCard.html
>
> I started out like this but then confusion set in. If anyone has the
> time to help me understand or write the proper spec for this method I
> think it will help me better understand how to stub or mock a 3rd
> party item like this. I just watched the peepcode screencast and I've
> watched the railscasts. I'm just trying to apply my meager
> understanding to my own project now.
>
> it "should validate credit card" do
>      gateway = stub('gateway')
>      gateway.should_recieve(:valid)
>      ActiveMerchant::Billing::CreditCard.stub(:new).and_return
> gateway
>    end

This RSpec example has nothing to do with a gateway. Also, it is a credit card
object, which does not talk to any third party service. You don't need to use
any mocking here.

You probably want to make sure the credit_card *can* be valid. So to do so,
you'll need to create a valid user (or whatever model this credit_card method
is in:

describe User do
  describe '#credit_card' do
    context 'with a valid user' do
      let(:user) { create(:user) }

      it 'returns a valid credit card instance' do
        user.credit_card.should
be_an_instance_of(ActiveMerchant::Billing::CreditCard)
        user.credit_card.should be_valid

Now, your User factory would fill in all the credit card fields so the credit
card is able to be valid. I would also check that the credit card has the
correct attributes:

describe User do
  describe '#credit_card' do
    context 'with a valid user' do
      let(:user) { create(:user, card_type: 'Visa') }

      describe 'the returned credit card instance' do
        it 'has the correct card_type' do
          user.credit_card.card_type.should eq('Visa')

As far as mocking third party gateway services, ActiveMerchant provides built
in support to switch a gateway to its "test" mode, which you would do in your
test.rb environment. ActiveMerchant has good documentation for all of this.

Hope that helps.