On 23 Nov 2011, at 07:19, Andrew Premdas wrote:

>>> Use Ruby 1.8.7 its much faster. There is a very good screencast on
>>> Destroy All Software that might help also - the one about extracting
>>> domain objects (or something like that).
>>
>> Anytime someone suggests using 1.8, a Chinchilla explodes. 1.9.3 has the
>> "slow require" fix - please use that if it is your concern.
>
> Yeh I know, but have you actually tried it out and got benchmarks to
> prove that 1.9.3 is fast enough? I've been trying for the last few
> weeks to get the rails test cycle going as quickly as possible. I'd
> like to be using 1.9.x but its just been to slow.

My feeling is that using 1.8.7 over 1.9.3 to gain test speed is throwing the
baby out with the bathwater. Ruby 1.9 has been around a long time and has
useful advantages over 1.8.7. The two key points to me are:

- the slow loading time highlights a design problem, not a performance problem:
it should not be necessary to load so much code to test a small part of an app
(we are limited as to how much we can extract from the Rails framework)

- holding back to 1.8.7 will turn the minor tremors from a gradual shift to
1.9.3 into a tectonic quake (I'm guessing chinchillas don't like earthquakes)

For these reasons I'm not prepared to compromise the dev environment and
rewrite our 1.9 code to work in 1.8.7, so I'll experiment later with turning on
code reloading. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do…

Ash

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashmoran