Hello old friends, I'm getting back to Rails and Ruby programming full time again (Yay!)

I've stopped doing Rails programming to work with Grails in 2009 after 2 years working with Rails due to a better job offer.

Since then I've changed my job once more, but still on Grails, but I found a critical bug in Grails more than a week ago that didn't seem to get much attention and is affecting the production system I maintain:

http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-8994

As I couldn't work around that bug and I can't see myself reading the Grails source code (a real mess!) I decided to take another approach that would allow me to get back to Rails programming.

I created a Devise / Warden strategy to send the cookies to the current system and it will return me the current logged in user. So I can set up Nginx to proxy some requests affected by the Grails bug to this new Rails application.

I've finished this action last Monday but when I was about to send all the hard work to the server lots of my directories were suddenly gone when I was using them. I still don't know what happened but I've replaced my hard-drive just in case, but it means I had to do all over again :(

Anyway, now I got it back to work but testing a single action (an update/insert one) will take about a full second to run using RSpec and FactoryGirl.

I really don't like Grails but they had a great feature for unit testing. They were able to mock their domain class (that is how they call their models) in such a way that they can perform most of the operations you can do on real objects.

Of course it have another serious bug that will prevent me to use it in lots of cases:

http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-8854

But the idea is great as it works seamlessly like in a memory database.

So, I'd like to be able to keep my tests easy to read but avoid touching the database that much.

But my controller spec rely on lots of the setting of ActiveRecord for my models, like maximum calculations in before callbacks, custom foreign keys and depends: :delete_all in some has_many associations. Also I do also need a user object that Devise will accept on its sign_in helper method.

Is there any place I could read more about writing faster tests without getting crazy writing so many mocks manually. For example, mocking a Grails domain class in a unit test would be as easy as:

@mock(User)
class UserTests...

Then I'm able to do most operations using the Grails domain class API using the User mock.

Is there something like this for Rails and Rspec? Is there some way that I could set up FactoryGirl to use those mocks instead of hitting the database when I want to?

Am I going in the wrong direction here? If so, what would be the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Glad to be part of the Ruby, Rails and Rspec community full-time again :D

Cheers,
Rodrigo.