Problem solved (although I am not sure where the bug is and if it's a bug).

the initializers folder had modules defined in it (Facebook, Web).
Those modules were not loading with Rails when Rspec was loading the
environment and were not defined as modules in the constants.

When I moved those modules to the lib folder (where they should have been in
the first place), rspec ran with no problem at all.

--
Sincerely,
Avi Tzurel

English blog: http://www.kensodev.com