All -

I'm seeing this problem with rsync 2.4.6 client and server between two Red
Hat 6.2 systems.

On my server I have the following setup:

[root@linux ftp-mirror]# ls -al
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 Feb 16 13:35 .
drwxr-xr-x  29 root     root         4096 Feb 16 13:16 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           57 Feb 16 13:35 RedHat ->
../../home/ftp/pub/distributions/iso-images/RedHat/7.1-en
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           55 Feb 16 13:35 SuSE ->
../../home/ftp/pub/distributions/iso-images/SuSE/7.1-en
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           37 Feb 16 13:34 kernel.org ->
../../home/ftp/pub/mirrors/kernel.org

In my /etc/rsyncd.conf I have:

[small]
        path = /var/ftp-mirror
        comment = Test ftp site

>From my workstation when I run this command to rsync it fails:

[scottrus@bzimage /dahole]$ rsync -avvL ftp3.linux.ibm.com::small/ test/
receiving file list ... readlink kernel.org: No such file or directory
readlink RedHat: No such file or directory
readlink SuSE: No such file or directory
done
wrote 70 bytes  read 207 bytes  554.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

So I also try it with the "--copy-unsafe-links" option. Same results as
shown here:

[scottrus@bzimage /dahole]$ rsync -avvL --copy-unsafe-links
ftp3.linux.ibm.com::small/ test/
receiving file list ... readlink kernel.org: No such file or directory
readlink RedHat: No such file or directory
readlink SuSE: No such file or directory
done
wrote 90 bytes  read 207 bytes  594.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

Then I try using a different access method. I export  RSYNC_RSH=/usb/bin/ssh
and run:

[scottrus@bzimage /dahole]$ rsync -avvL --dry-run
ftp3.linux.ibm.com:/var/ftp-mirror/ test/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password: <enter passwd>
receiving file list ... done
RedHat/rh71en1BETA3.iso
RedHat/rh71en2BETA3.iso
RedHat/rh71en3BETA3.iso
RedHat/rh71en4BETA3.iso
SuSE/.message
SuSE/.message~
SuSE/README
SuSE/beta8-prof-CD1.iso
SuSE/beta8-prof-CD2.iso
... [snip]

So rsync works via ssh but not via the rsyncd? What's going on here? Why can
I not get rsyncd to handel the symlinks correctly in the server source tree?
It's obvious the symlinks are good or I would expect that cd and rsync via
ssh would fail. Why does readlink report a failure if I skip over the ssh
bit and try to use rsyncd to grab the files? I've also tried adding a
trailing / to the path in the /etc/rsyncd.conf file and it doesn't help
(same errors.)

Any help would be great.

--
Regards,