Perhaps this is already discussed by the IPv6 proposed patches.  I
personally haven't looked at them in detail yet, but it seems like it
would be nice to merge in support.

The major problem is that IPv6 literal addresses include '.' and ':'
as delimiters, which conflicts with the historical usage of those in
URLs.  RFC2732 suggests that IPv6 literal addresses should be
encapsulated in square brackets, such as

      http://[FEDC:BA98:7654:3210:FEDC:BA98:7654:3210]:80/index.html
      http://[1080:0:0:0:8:800:200C:417A]/index.html
      http://[3ffe:2a00:100:7031::1]

I think this should work well for both rsync URL syntax:

  rsync rsync://[FEDC:BA98:7654::3210]:8763/foo

and scp-style syntax:

  rsync -auvz mbp@[::1]:.mutt* .

I think we'll have to strip away the brackets before passing this to
ssh or rsh.  I guess the user should do RSYNC_RSH='ssh -6' if that's
what they want.

Interesting...
--
Martin Pool, Human Resource