On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 07:01:30PM +0800, Hans E. Kristiansen wrote:
> using both the --backup and the --backup-dir option, I am now able to take
> incremental backup of changed files. However, with a small problem. I have
> noticed that if the user creates new files ( like new documents ), the are
> added to the destination directory, and not to the backup directory. This is
> rather unfortunate, since I would like them to be in the incremental
> directory. Is there any workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> Hans E..

I haven't tried it, but perhaps this would work for you instead of using
--backup and --backup-dir:
    1. rsync to your incremental backup directory with a --compare-dest
        of your old full backup (be sure to use a full path on --compare-dest
        because relative paths are relative to the destination).
    2. copy all files from your incremental directory on your backup server
        to your full backup directory on your backup server.
    3. rsync --delete from your source directory to your full backup; the
        only thing that should happen then is deletes since you already
        moved over changed files in step #2.

- Dave Dykstra