Nic LAWRENCE [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] writes:

> nicl:/var/named-dns0-rsync# rsync -artn dns0:/var/named/* ./
> Failed to exec rsh : No such file or directory
> unexpected EOF in read_timeout
>
> It's absolutely correct though, I don't have rsh anywhere on my system...
> however I used rsync only just yesterday and all was well and good. Have I

> missed something stupidly obvious or should I start getting worried that I

> must have had rsh before and it has now "magically" gone?

I think it's fair to say that if the same command worked yesterday,
then one of two things were present that have since changed:

* Somewhere on your system (and I believe on your path) was an "rsh"
  that was exec()able and worked.  Now that might have been a true rsh,
  a simulated rsh, or a link to some other application that gave the
  same result as rsh.

* The environment in which the rsync command was previously run had an
  RSYNC_RSH definition pointing to an alternative for rsh that worked
  on your system, and that definition is now missing.

Note that the rsh can also be overridden with the -e/--rsh command line
option, but I'm assuming you would have noticed if you were using that
option previously and stopped doing so :-)

-- David

 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /