> For testing , I run run the following:
>
> rsync va_sync.zip $site::cache/va_cache/   (the file to be sync'ed is one
> of several
> zip files under /va_cache/ ie /va_cache/va_sync.zip.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Would rsync be the "right" tool for the task ?
>
> Is my command line adequate/optimal to minimize (send only the difference)
> the actual data transferred ?
> If not , what is suggested ?
>
> The content of the zip file is multiple plain text files. Would it be
> better to
> have a directory of text files sync'ed rather than the zip file ?

This would be a much better way to go.

The problem with sync'ing up two zip archives is that if one of the
files in the archive changes then the zip file will differ from that
point on ie the zip archive will match until you get to the file which
has been changed, from there on the two files will only have random hits
and rsync won't help you much.

Rusty Russell did some work on gzip to get it to throw away its
compression trees periodically + rsync'ing tar'ed gzip'ed files works
much better than zip'ed files.

So, assuming you are only zip'ing up these files to cut down on the
amount of data you are pushing up the frame relay then you'd be better
off not bothering.

rsync has an option (-z?) to make it compress data as it pushes it down
the link, so you can just let rsync do the compression.

John