    Dave> The source currently in rsync's CVS already does this.
    Dave> Martin put that in.

Appologies for the duplicate submission - I have several "local"
patches that I use, and I don't keep good records on which I've
already submitted.

    >> (e.g. I seem to remember Dave Dykstra mentioning that certain
    >> server errors were not logged to the client for security
    >> reasons - I may have busted that, sorry).

    Dave> Martin & Tridge will need to decide about that patch.  I
    Dave> think Tridge will probably not want all the messages sent to
    Dave> the client of a daemon.

Sounds totally reasonable to me.  Let me know if I can be of any help.

For the most part, the code behaves exactly as it did - I just tried
to "tidy it up" a bit.  The motivation, though, was trying to debug
the hang problem - I was trying to ensure that I was seeing every last
error message.  I believe that the only functional change comes from
the bit that tries the remote if (and only if) the sibling is toast
(and that bit is easy to disable by itself).

FWIW, I still get hangs w/daemon mode solaris26-to-solaris26 rsyncs of
large filesystems.  Owing to extreme administrative and political
difficulty of getting access to the far end server (sigh), I have been
unable to really pursue it any further.  I may try the recent patch
from Wayne Davison to see if that helps any.  (In my copious spare
time.)  In the meantime, I just do the syncs in smaller "chunks".

Regards,
Neil

--
Neil Schellenberger             | Voice : (613) 599-2300 ext. 8445
Orchestream                     | Fax   : (613) 599-2330