On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 03:48:08PM +1000, Colin Nathan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I continue to have difficulties when attempting to synchronize between
> two local directories. One of them is a NetWare volume mounted using NCP.
> The catalogue builds and the synchronization of the two directory's starts.
> For a reason unknown to me, the process will stop completely when it
> reaches a certain file. When the file in question is excluded, the
> synchronization will continue on past the location of that file until it
> possibly reaches another file that it will not transfer and stop completely
> on that as well. I am unsure as to why rsync stops on these particular
> files, I can find nothing in common with any of them. I have gone and
> viewed some of the files in question, and they are fine.
>
> I started with the following:
>
> rsync -ravu --stats --exclude *.gho  /mnt/bmhsnlc-s4/usr  /replication/bmhsnlc-s4/
>
> and then as suggested added the -W or --whole-file switch. This does not
> ? seem to make any difference to the files that will not copy. The files
> range in size from 8k to 52mb. The amount of data that is being sync'd in
> any one attempt is about 4GB. The NetWare 5 server is on the same subnet as
> our Linux box, and is 100Mbit switched. I am at a loss to try and explain
> what is occurring. Any idea's???

Do they fail when you copy just those files by themselves?  I once had
a circumstance where particular data inside a file could cause data to
get dropped by some network element; even doing a straight rcp on the
file would fail.  It may help to examine an strace.  I'm assuming the
/mnt device is over NFS, probably UDP, so it won't even help to use
netstat to examine queues or use tcpdump.

- Dave Dykstra