  DD> All that rsync uses ssh for is to open a bi-directional data
  DD> pipe and run a command (another rsync program) on the remote
  DD> side.  It then ignores ssh (or rsh, the default) and does its
  DD> own protocol over the pipe between the two sides.

Hmm, doesn't rsync run two copies of itself on the remote side?  Maybe
it uses three (?) unidirectional pipes instead of one bi-directional
one?  And either way, it would be nice to have a primer on designing a
protocol like this, since I'm sure many people have already figured
out the best way to handle latency, errors, etc.

--
Ben Escoto