From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 18 July 2001 19:01
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Preserving groups

I am new to rsync and am having trouble getting the presevation of groups
to work when I do an rsync copy between two computers.  I have tried the
documentation, the list archives and FAQ and everything seems to indicate
that it should just work.

On compA I run the following as root
rsync -av /apps/ compB::apps

on compB I have an rsyncd.conf with the following and have run rsync
--daemon.

log file = /var/log/rsync.log
[apps]
path = /apps
comment = apps
read only = false
hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/16
uid = root
gid = root

All the copied files get the gid root instead of the gid from the source.
I have tried it without the gid=root and then I get a gid of nogroup on all
files copied to the destination computer.

I have also tried various combinations of options including --numeric-ids
-o -g etc.  The logs don't seem to indicate any problems.

Although these two computers are on the same LAN and scp would therefore
probably be more efficient I am keen to use rsync so I can get this working
across our WAN which of course only has low bandwidth.

Could anyone either suggest a solution or point me to some doco which
covers this.

Thank you
Steven

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com or http://www.ansett.com.au