Now, that's a good solution.  if it MUST be done over rsync, and it's not there, write
it in yourself.  It's amazing, sometimes, the things people want added into a generic
tool, and they expect Tridge or Dave to write and maintain it.  It's a tool for
non-interactively maintaining directory trees, and adding in an option to do a "rsh
remotehost rm" wouldn't be a normal function.  Your situation is different.  Almost
nobody writes to rsyncd, especially not huge trees.  Glad to see it's working well for
you.

Tim Conway
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips
Available as n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970), ".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

                    Justin Banks

                    <justinb@tricord.           To:  Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS@AMEC

                    com>                        cc:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Sent by:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    rsync-admin@lists            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    .samba.org                  Subject:  Re: rsync recursion question

                                                Classification:

                    10/23/2001 08:08

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    justinb

  Tim> That's the way it is.  If it's really a one-off change, a huge change
  Tim> in your structure, telnet ssh, rsh, and so forth, work really well for
  Tim> dropping in and deleting stuff (unless you're supplying the master, and
  Tim> other systems out of your control copy from you).  Rsync is opTimized
  Tim> for taking a filesystem in an unknown state, and making it identical to
  Tim> another filesystem in an unknown state, using network bandwidth as
  Tim> efficiently as possible.

Well, that doesn't cut it here. It seemed like all the guts were there - I
mean, the functionality already exists on the receiving side, mostly, right?
Anyway, I took a look, and I added an option (-d). This means that you can do

rsync --delete -d /some/removed/directory foo@wherever::module:/some/removed

and the remote side will remove /some/removed/directory. It will work whether
it's a file or directory. Let me know if anyone wants a patch, if this is a
feature that would help other folks. I can't imagine people are in my
particular circumstances, where the source filesystem is on the order of a
terabyte, but you never know ;)

-justinb

--
Justin Banks Tricord, Inc. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
'We have no intention of shipping another bloated operating system and