Whenever I ran the following command from my source server DevlServ, I get an error message.

rsync /files0/home/userl/test.txt ApplServ:/files0/home/userl/test.txt

The error message is:

sh: rsync: not found
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(140)
rsync exists and works fine when I use it to sync up files locally, that is on the source server, DevlServ. Also I have set up the .rhosts file in my home directory and the /etc/hosts.equiv file. The relevant ip address and server names can also be found in the /etc/hosts files.

I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I am not running rsync as a daemon nor neither do I wish to use ssh.

I am using the rsh protocol and have rsync installed on my local server. The remote server ApplServ does not have rsync installed on it.

Basically I wish to make all changes on my source server and propagate the changes to the remote server using a cron job.

Help!!!

Leslie