Just did a successful rsync -- problem was with reiser filesystem.

Moved all files off the raid, ran reiserfsck with --rebuild-tree (fix-fixable was not enough), ran rsync after rebuild finished -- no problems.

There were a number of files that the rebuild-tree found that weren't attached

Edward King wrote:
After switching much hardware (and getting some helpful suggestions) I moved the specific machine's files on the backup server to a hard drive outside the raid (still on the backup server, /dev/hdi1) and tried rsync -- problem solved.

It seems there's a problem with the journaled filesystems (reiserfs) and raid -- reading the files is ok (cp command worked fine), writing them is not.

I'm going to turn on reiser debugging and internal checks and re-run -- maybe I can send something to the reiser or kernel people of interest (don't want to go back to ext2)