jw schultz wrote:

Read the list archives. This has been talked to death.

Amen.

Most recently, Martin Langhoff has spoken of doing some work
on using sender-side filtering that sounds promising. There
is also a receiver-side patch out there with the performance
issues you mention.

I've narrowed it down to the code I want to work on. I haven't been able to do much besides integrating some already existing patches due to a change of jobs.

You will find that the code is a bit obscure. And it's C.

I have been studying whether to patch Unison instead, to achieve the same goals (Unison is written in OCaml). In the meantime, I learned about pysync (Python clone of rsync), but I am unsure of its stability. And perlsync <http://perlrsync.sourceforge.net/>.

If Perlsync is reasonably stable *and* is wire-compatible with rsync as people claim, I think that's what I'll work on.

cheers,

martin