Hi. I use rsync to suck down a large amount of data every night using a cron job that
logs to a file. If you run rsync --progress and redirect to a log file you end up with
the progress for each file piled up onto a single line. \r is generally ignored by
editors and viewers. That leads to my question...

Would it be possible to have rsync output log-friendly progress if output is
redirected?

For an example of how this can work, check out wget. When run in a shell, it outputs a
beautiful, dynamic progress bar. When output is redirected it outputs periods instead.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Adam