David,

I've used rsync to transfer multiple terabytes when replacing or consolidating storage.  The practical limit is not the overall size, but there are a couple that will crop up:

1.        This is alluded to in the FAQ, but the relationship between amount of memory on the hosts and the number of files per sync is important.  Rsync will use ~100 bytes per file on both the source and destination servers, so if you are moving many millions of files you may have to break it up into smaller bites – i.e. the “script that writes other scripts” sort of technique.  No real problem here, unless the files are all in one directory …

2.        If the individual files are much larger than 1GB, rsync will tend to copy the entire file over again rather than the differences.  This pretty much negates the benefits of rsync.  Luckily, most files that large are database files and they have their own hot migration techniques available.

It’s a VERY useful tool, though.

Regards,

Mark Crowder

Texas Instruments, WW Make IT Infrastructure

"Ninety percent of the time things turn out worse than

you thought they would.  The other ten percent of the

time you had no right to expect that  much."

                     Augustine