Jeff Schoby wrote:

Well, I got -further- by changing the fsize= to -1 in
/etc/security/limits on my AIX boxes, but rsync ultimately still did not like my 15GB file I wanted to
transfer.

What does "doesn't like" mean? Does it freeze with too much CPU usage?

Had to resort to good ol' plain vanilla ftp.

How long does transferring the file via ftp take?

A 15GB file puts a load of 194% on the hash table. This means that, *on average*, each lookup will have to scan two areas. I'm not sure whether that should have created a huge slowdown or not.

Try rsyncing that file with the "--block-size=524288" (i.e. - a 0.5MB block size), and please report whether rsync's behavior had improved, and in particular, how does it rate against vanilla ftp.

Thanks,
         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh